2010 Progress Report
Our first year of building a brighter economic, environmental, and energy future for our community.
Just over a year ago, some local elders, youth, business owners, teachers, community organizers and trades people — joined with a special group of young people from low and moderate income
Over the last year SEEED has…
· Mentored and placed 5 inner city young men in their early twenties in various “green collar job” training programs, and/or actual green collar jobs, such as energy auditor for home weatherization projects and certification for solar panel installations. One is a current student at East Tennessee State University in a green technology program.
· Launched a youth-led “Listening Project” – a door-to-door canvass of low-to-moderate income residents to raise awareness about how some programs for low-or no-cost home weatherization can cut utility bills while creating good jobs for SEEED youth. Phase 1 was completed in 2009 (25 interviews) and Phase II (60 interviews) was completed in 2010.
· Created a video documentary of the Listening Project, produced by PlantOne Productions, an entrepreneurial project led by SEEED youth.
· Organized a public forum, entitled How the Green Economy Affects the Heart of Knoxville, which brought together government, business, education, and grassroots leaders to discuss how low income residents can be part of the city’s emerging green economy.
· Organized Green the Block, a community clean up and recycling event in
· Launched a Pre-apprenticeship program of mentoring, community service, and life skills training to prepare young people for successful green job training programs. The pilot project started in 2009. The formal program is launching Dec. 6.
· Organized the SEEED Music Harvest concert at the Knoxville Botanical Gardens.
· Weatherized a low-income home with a volunteer team of 10 youth, 4 mentors, 4 contractors, 2 city employees, and members of the US Green Building Council.
SEEED PROGRAMS AND PROJECTS ON THE GROUND AS OF 11/2010:
- Listening Project2 - Finish LP2 interviews by 11/21
- Finish video edit by 12/15 pending $
- Josh – primary staff as of 11/01
- Proposed model shown to City
- SEEED seeking $ to organize it
- Rick – primary staff
Youth Dvpt/Cmty Svc/Pre Apprtsp
- Pre Apprentice/CS
- 1st project goals/obj drafted in Sept
- Some Cmty Svc overlap w/ LP2
- 1st student orientation Dec. 6th (?)
- Alana primary staff as of 11/01
- Front roof repaired
- Power on; needs plumbing
- Seeking grant for upgrades